Dear Pelham Parents and Community Members,
I think it goes without saying that the enormity and complexity of what our community, region and country is facing is unprecedented. As we work through each wrinkle that is thrown our way, we make decisions that we believe are in the best interests of our students, staff, parents and the entire Pelham Community. I want to reiterate that the decision to close school on Friday was made due to the totality of the circumstances facing our District. While we still have not been made aware of any confirmed cases of COVID-19, we know that the virus continues to spread in our area and also have had increasing cases of diagnosed and suspected Pertussis (whooping cough) in the high school.
This short-term closure will give our custodians the necessary time to deep clean the schools, allow any students who are feeling sick to visit their doctors, rest and get well, and provide us time to continue to monitor and adapt to the ever-changing information.
Friday will be treated like a regular snow day in that all Pelham classes, BOCES classes, practices, etc. are canceled for the day. The difference, of course, is the ongoing health situation around us. As a result, I urge everyone to take common sense measures to protect your health and the health of your friends and family.
If you are sick, please take this time to seek medical treatment if needed, rest and get well
Stay home, practice social distancing and avoid gathering with large groups of people to the extent that you can
Continue to wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face.
One more important thing we can all do is be respectful and kind to one another. Diseases do not discriminate and neither should we. The current health concerns are not the fault of any one person, family, or culture and it is vital that we are there to support one another during this stressful time.
At this time, we are planning to open for school on Monday, however, I recognize that circumstances may change. As we navigate these complex issues, we continue to advocate alongside our elected local officials for clear and rational guidance from the state to more adequately deal with this pandemic. That said, we continue to make contingency plans for a variety of important school functions, including next week's parent/teacher conferences should we close for a longer period of time. We will provide an update by Sunday evening and I encourage you to visit our COVID-19 webpage.
Cheryl H. Champ
Superintendent of Schools