Dear Pelham Community,
Thank you to everyone who attended Wednesday night’s Board of Education meeting and shared their thoughts on the District’s spectator policy at concerts/sporting events. It is clear that we have a shared goal of maximizing attendance of students and community members at these events while maintaining a safe environment for all and keeping within the established guidelines from the NYS Department of Health.
In reviewing the New York State Department of Health regulations for schools, the District must maintain a distance of 6 feet between adults and 3 feet between students while indoors. Universal masking is also required in all schools and District facilities including offsite facilities that are being used for a school-sponsored event. We believe that adhering to these regulations is prudent, especially in light of the steady increase in COVID-19 cases our schools and the entire region have experienced over the last several weeks.
Moving forward our spectator policy for events at the secondary campus (i.e. sporting events in the Middle School Gym/Ice Hutch and concerts in the Gym/High School Auditorium) will be as follows:
- Students and adults will be allowed to attend these events on a first-come, first-serve basis up to the maximum capacity allowed with the above-mentioned distancing
- To maximize available capacity, there will be a student section in the MS gym bleachers with 3-feet distancing and an adult section with 6-feet distancing, which will allow approximately 132 spectators given the respective distancing for adults and students (44 adults at 6 feet distancing and 88 students at 3 feet distancing). We will be flexible based on the number of adults/students to allow the maximum number of spectators so long as the distancing requirements are met
- When space on the gym floor is available (i.e. for concerts), additional seating may be added
- At sporting events, attendees from opposing teams will be allowed to attend subject to the physical distancing requirements
- School security personnel will keep track of the number of spectators, and may allow additional attendees based on available space
- No spectators will be allowed into the venue once maximum capacity has been reached
- In accordance with the State’s universal mask mandate for schools, all attendees are required to wear masks properly at all times.
This approach will allow our incredible student-athletes and musicians the opportunity to compete and perform in front of their friends and families while meeting safety requirements.
I also want to remind the entire community that all games in the Middle School Gym can be streamed live via the District’s LocalLive and YouTube channels and arrangements have been made to stream and record our concerts as well. This is a great way to see our students’ amazing talent in action!
I wish the best of luck to all of you for the winter athletics and concert season.
Dennis R. Lauro, Jr. Ed. D.
Acting Superintendent of Schools