Over the Holiday Recess, the New York State Department of Health updated its quarantine guidance to allow individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 to be released from quarantine after 10 days rather than 14 provided they do not develop symptoms or test positive for COVID-19. Moving forward, the District will use the 10-day guidance when instructing staff and students to quarantine.
This change also applies to individuals who travel to states/areas covered under New York State’s Travel Advisory and have not tested out of the quarantine requirement. Additional information about quarantine/self-isolation is available on the District website.
As we prepare to reopen for in-person learning on January 11, we wanted to remind families to please let your respective principal know if your child has tested positive for COVID-19. Additionally, we would like to reiterate the state’s travel advisory, which is outlined below. Please be reminded that any student who must quarantine as a result of exposure to COVID-19 or travel must learn remotely until they are released from quarantine.
New York State Travel Advisory
Travelers coming to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 and higher country are required to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival and fill out the Traveler Health Form. The guidelines for travelers to test-out of the mandatory 10-day quarantine are below:
For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours
- Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
- The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
- On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.
For travelers who were out-of-state for less than 24 hours
- The traveler does not need a test prior to their departure from the other state, and does not need to quarantine upon arrival in New York State.
- However, the traveler must fill out our traveler form upon entry into New York State, and take a COVID diagnostic test 4 days after their arrival in New York.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation in helping to keep our schools open for in-person instruction.
Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Personnel Services