The results of countless hours of hard work and many late nights were on full display May 29 at the annual Science Research Symposium held in the Middle School gym. At the event, science research students showcased their work and the soon-to-graduate seniors presented their findings to the attendees on topics such as Predicting the Impact of Future Regulations on Hydraulic Fracturing in the USA, Racial Friendship Networks as a Social Cue in Interracial Interaction, Attitudes towards Hepatitis B in West African Immigrant Communities, and The Effects of Native and Invasive Leaf Litter on the Water Quality of a Mesotrophic Lake, among many others. For the first time this year, members of the Pelham Middle School STEAM Research Club also participated in the event, showcasing their projects alongside the high school students.
Led by teachers Steven Beltecas and Joe DiBello, the PMHS Science Research Program has flourished in recent years with students taking home awards across a variety of top science competitions locally, nationally and internationally. In conducting their research, students work directly with a professional mentor throughout their projects.
Recent accolades include:
- Mason Brady: 1st place - Physical Science, JSHS Science Competition
- Jillian Harrison: Semifinalist, Regeneron STS – 2018; 3rd place – Behavioral Science, WESEF; 2nd place, Behavioral Science (PowerPoint), JSHS States; 3rd place Behavior I (PowerPoint), JSHS Regionals
- Samuel Imperato: 2nd place, Physics and Astronomy, WESEF; 4th place, Physical Science (PowerPoint), JSHS
- Anais Leon-Kelly: Excellence in Behavioral Science Award, WESEF; 2nd Place, Behavioral Science, JSHS
- Hannah Mackay: 2nd place, Neuroscience, WESEF
- Kiera Mallinson: Finalist, INTEL ISEF; 2nd place, Engineering, WESEF; 1st place, Physical Science, SHS
- Mateo Rivera: Mianus River Gorge Ecology Award, WESEF
- Patrick Roche: 1st place, Physical Science Poster, JSHS
- Aidan Sisk: 4th place, Environmental Science, American Meteorological Society Award, WESEF; Genius Olympiad Finalist
- William Taubner: 4th place, Physical Science, JSHS; Ricoh Sustainable Development Award, WESEF
- Samantha Tsang: 3rd place, Cellular/Molecular Biology, WESEF; Honorable Mention, Cellular/Molecular Biology (PowerPoint), JSHS
- Priya Varanasi: 3rd place, Environmental Science, WESEF; 2nd place, Environmental Science, JSHS; State Finalist, JSHS
- Emily Xue: 2nd place, Medicine and Health, WESEF; 1st place, Medicine and Health, JSHS Regionals; 2nd place, Medicine and Health, JSHS States